South Daytona is a city in Volusia County, Florida, United States. The population was 12,252 at the 2010 census.
South Daytona was once a town called Blake, with some 40 resident families and as many more non-resident property holders. Many of the early settlers were profitably engaged in orange culture and vegetable gardening. According to the National Archives in Washington, D.C., Blake opened its first post office on August 19, 1878. Around 1886, the first train came as far as Daytona, and ten years later the line was extended to Miami. Soon thereafter, a railroad station was built at Big Tree Crossing.
By 1926, the towns of Daytona, Daytona Beach, and Seabreeze were consolidated to make the city of Daytona Beach. Daytona Beach then proceeded to annex all the adjacent territories, including the town of Blake. Because of new taxes and appraisals levied, residents of Blake were forced to hire an attorney and eventually, around 1938, succeeded in breaking away from Daytona Beach to become the incorporated town of South Daytona.
Soon after World War II, the town adopted a Building Department, followed by a Planning and Zoning Board. Builders and developers soon became interested in the area, and South Daytona started to develop. South Daytona was then in a position to request financial assistance from the federal government for expansion of utilities, streets, etc. South Daytona was the second town in the Halifax area, after Daytona Beach, to install a sanitary sewer system. The town continued to prosper and was incorporated as the City of South Daytona in 1951. South Daytona has operated under a City Manager/Council form of government since 1980, with the Mayor and four council members serving four-year, staggered terms beginning in 1990.
SEARCH HOMES FOR SALE IN SOUTH DAYTONA FL